If you watch NFL football on Sundays, or you’re a NASCAR fan, you’ll know today’s guest, Shannon Spake for her work as a broadcaster. She’s also a mom of twins, and an Ironman triathlete, and loves to give back to herself, her community, and her family. During today’s episode, we are lucky to host her for a conversation about the challenges of balancing motherhood and business. Shannon’s message comes down to one simple word of advice; to give yourself grace. Tune in to hear how Shannon’s involvement with many different things helps her to avoid burnout, and how being a part of the endurance community gives her an opportunity to fill her cup. Hear about her relationship with triathlons, how one of the characters in Disney’s Cars 3 came to be named after her, and what it has been like to work in a male-dominated field, with the support of fellow NASCAR reporter, Jamie Little. Join us to learn all about Shannon’s unique road to building a rich and fulfilling life that is as multifaceted as it is successful. Anyone can learn from these powerful insights, but if you’re feeling the pressure as a mom building a career, you can’t afford to miss today’s conversation.
Key Points From This Episode:
- An introduction to today’s guest, NFL reporter, mother, and triathlete, Shannon Spake.
- Shannon tells us what’s new in her career today.
- What she has learned by balancing personal pursuits and family along with building a career.
- How she has learned to give herself grace as she has grown older.
- What she realized in New York during 9/11.
- How being a part of the endurance community gives Shannon the opportunity to fill her cup.
- Her belief that doing many different things helps to prevent burnout in any area.
- How changing her environment keeps Rachel creatively fresh.
- Why Rachel believes that she is a better parent when she gets the time to be herself outside of that role.
- Understanding that everyone has a different level of sacrifice.
- How triathlon acts as a form of meditation for Shannon.
- Shannon’s commitment to enjoying herself above all else when she partakes in triathlons.
- How she prepares to ensure that the experience is fun for her.
- The story of how one of the characters in Cars 3 was named after Shannon.
- What it has been like to work in a male-dominated sports space.
- How her relationship with fellow NASCAR reporter Jamie Little was a support to her.
- Her advice to younger people that their impact is what’s most important.
- Why Shannon believes nothing is more important than working hard and being likable.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: