Location, location, location! YES location is important! It adds to the experience for your client, brings about the aesthetics for your photography and can be a source of inspiration.
- Lighting - This one I think is pretty self explanatory!
- Density of population - I choose times and locations where there are less people around to watch. I personally don’t mind when others watch me shoot but I know for many as a client it is already uncomfortable being in front of the camera. Add on other people watching!
- Aesthetic goal of the session - Am I looking for romantic? or fun? Whimsical or urban?
- Walkability- yes, walkability! I don’t like utilizing just one location, I love to have multiple locations within walking distance. Having this characteristic to a location works to many advantages; gives me time to talk to the client, different lighting situations, various perspectives and, if shooting kids, lets them run around!
- Convenience - Depending on the client, just because I’m inspired doesn’t mean they are able or willing to drive X miles out of their way. So I compromise